How to List Your Business on Google
If you operate a local business and want to be found on Google Search and Maps, it is really important that you get a Google My Business listing. At Web Sprout, we want to help every business get found on the web—starting with yours.
People are searching for businesses like yours online nearly everyday. An accurate and up-to-date Google My Business listing will allow potential customers searching for your products and services to be able to call you directly from Google Search and Google Maps. They can also get driving directions to your business, view your business hours, and read your reviews.
Setting up a Google My Business listing for your business is free and easy to do. Follow the step-by-step instructions in this article and in no time you’ll be reaping the rewards of being found in Google Local Search. If you need help setting up your Google My Business listing, do not hesitate to contact Web Sprout and we’ll be happy to work with you.
1. Go to Google My Business
Click on “Start Now” and sign in to your Google account.
2. Fill Out Your Business Information
The next screen is where you will begin to fill in your business information. This is the important stuff. When it comes to ranking high in Google Local Search, Google wants to know exactly where your business is and how people can contact you.
- Business Name – Use your actual business name. Avoid using any other information that could confuse potential customers.
- Country/Region – Select what country your business resides in.
- Street Address – Enter the number and name of the street your business is located at. Even if your business is a “Service Area Business,” this needs to be filled out for verification purposes. The address that you use here should become your default address across the web. Consistency is important.
- City – Enter your city name here.
- State – Select your state from the drop down list.
- Postal Code – enter in your 4 digit postal code here.
- Main Business Phone – This must be a phone number where customers can contact you directly. Only use a local phone number with a local area code.
- Category –Google has preset Categories, or keywords, for each industry. Start typing your keyword in to see if Google produces a match, then select the best one. It is important that you choose a category that represents your main business offering/service.
- Website – If you have a website for your business, enter in your URL here. Otherwise, you can enter it in later.
- I deliver goods and services to my customers at their location check box – If you are a “Service Area Business” where you deliver your services or products to your customers and don’t serve your customers at the address you supplied above, check yes.
- Finally, click “Continue“
3. Verify Your Business
After you’ve filled in all your business information and selected a business category, Google will have to verify your business’s address. That is, Google must check whether your business is actually where you say it is. Google will physically mail a postcard with a verification PIN to your business within 1-2 weeks.
If you have the option to verify your business by phone, make sure you can answer the business phone number to receive your verification code.
Once you receive your PIN postcard in the mail, go ahead and sign into the Google My Business dashboard and look for the blue banner across the top of the dashboard with the “Enter Code” button. Click the button and enter the 5 digit PIN into the field. Click the “Submit” button and voilà!
You are now the proud owner of a verified and live Google My Business listing.
4. Manage Your Business Information
Go to your dashboard once your Google My Business listing is verified and click on the “Info” tab. This is where you will fill out all of the additional information like your website, hours of operation, or attach any pictures. Be as thorough as possible during this step!
5. Keep Your Information up to Date
We recommend checking up on your listing about once a month. Respond to your reviews, review any edits from outside sources, and add new photos and info to your listing.
You can also download the Google My Business app for Android in the Google Play Store or for iOS in the App Store to update your listing from your mobile device.
If you have any questions about Google My Business listings, do not hesitate to give us a call at 02 9626 8159. We have extensive experience with Google My Business and would be happy to help your business.
March 5, 2018
January 10, 2018
December 18, 2017